INTRODUCTION TO THE NORTHERN CRICKET LEAGUE
The Northern Cricket League, a new combination in the cricket world, has great pleasure in issuing this handbookfor its first season 1952.
The Organisation is admittedly new but the clubs forming this league are all clubs with many years standing, some reaching back over 100 years, clubs to whom cricket has been, and still is, "THE GAME" in the area covered by the Northern Cricket League.
We are very proud of the fact that as the Northern Cricket League's first President we have Sir D G Bradman, a personality who without question is on the Highest pinnacle of cricket the world over.
The Blackpool C.C. was founded in 1889 and Club cricket was played until 1920 when the Senior team entered the Ribblesdale League. From 1920 to 1951 the Club won the Ribblesdale League Championship eleven times, i.e., 1924, 1928, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1937, 1944, 1946, 1948 and 1951.
Blackpool was one of the founder members of the Palace Shield Competition, started in 1902 and the Second XI played in the competition from 1902 to 1951. The ground which is pleasantly situated and adjoins Stanley Park, is one of the recognised venues for County cricket. The present pavilion was opened on the 5th August 1925 by Sir Edwin J Stockton, Kt., JP., President of Lancashire County Cricket Club.
Adjoining Stanley Park (West Park Drive)
Councillor Frank R Boydell, J.P.
Blackpool Cricket Club
Adjoining Stanley Park
Tel: Ground 254961
House : 52021
Secretary's Office : 23146
23, South King Street,
Tel: Blackpool 21805
Chorley joined the Ribblesdale League in 1919 but in the years to 1951 never succeeded in winning the championship. The nearest to success being in 1942 and 1950 when the club finnished runners-up.
The Club's popular pro, T. H. Edwardson set up a new Ribblesdale League record taking 100 wickets in three successive seasons: 1949, 1950 and 1951.
The present club started in 1909 when Chorley Amateurs became Chorley Town C.C. and moved to Windsor Park. In 1916 the Club amalgamated with Chorley West End C.C. Windsor Park is deservedly popular for its pleasant surroundings and its good wickets.
Windsor Park, Southport Road
T. H. Edwardson
R J Morris
37 Letchworth Drive
Tel: (W Blackledge, Chairman) 3065
J B Norman,
7 Millfield Road,
Tel: Chorley 2657
First known as Darwen Etrurians 1901-1910 and became Darwen C.C. in 1911.
Joined the Ribblesdale League in1909 which membership has been continious to the end of last season 1951.
Champions of the League in 1932 and 1934 and joint Champions in 1940
The "A" team have been members of the Ribblesdale Junior League since 1912 and won the championship of their division on five occasions : 1913, 1920, 1933, 1936 and 1949.
Birch Hall, Darwen.
(Bus from Blackburn to Anchor Hotel, Darwen)
Ken Rickards (West Indies)
53 Sough Road
Waddington Old Hall,
Tel: Clitheroe 36
The Club was formed in 1891. In 1902 became a founder member of the Palace Shield Competition. In 1950 the Club applied for membership to the Ribblesdale League, but had a very poor first season in the higher company. In 1951, however the Club put up a much better show.
The introduction of league cricket to the town has been justified by the interest aroused and support given by the public locally.
Past stalwarts of the Club include such as Sir Jas Robertson, Councillor Tom Roberts, E Wicks, W P Lilwall, C Caddie, C Spencer, T F Mitchell and Alderman C Saer O.B.E., and special mention to T G Williams, late chairman, who did so much in post-war improvements to the ground and buildings.
The ground leased from the Corporation in 1923 was then in open country but the surronding area is now rapidly being built up.
Broadwater Tram Stop, Fleetwood Road
(The Ground is on left side of main road from Preston via Kirkham, Thornton and BurnNaze, where tram track crosses main road)
R G Garlick (Lancashire and Northants)
Fleetwood Cricket Club
Tel: 02200 (E Wilkinson, Vice Chairman)
R H Saer
Fleetwood Cricket Club,
Tel: (Office Hours) Fleetwood 250
The Club was originally Barrow St James and was founded in 1892 and became members of the North Lancashire League in 1906. Won the Senior Championship in 1913 and 1939 (Jointly). Won the Higson Cup six times including last season.
The ground was purchased in 1923 and the pavilion opened in 1934. The ground lies between Hawcoat Lane, Oxford Street and Furness Park Road, and is just off the main road into Barrow.
The Furness C.C. is acknowledged to be the most influential and progressive club in the Furness district of Lancashire and possesses a Social Committee second to none.
Furness Park (Oxford Street)
near Strawberry Hotel, Abbey Road
B B Nimbalkar (India)
(Deputising for G S Ramchand (India))
HON. SECRETARY AND LEAGUE REPRESENTATIVE
K C Archer
28 Highlands Avenue
Tel: T Tickle (President) Barrow 315
Kendal C.C. was founded in 1836 and has been continuously in existence ever since. In 1892 became one of the founder members of the North Lancashire League and continued that membership until the formation of the "Northern".
Won the Championship of the North Lancashire league on eight occasions, the last being in 1951, when in the final match of the season, Kendal defeated Furness in what was the deciding match. Also won the Higson Cup in 1939 and 1948.
Adjoining Railway Station, Shap Road (A6)
F R Stewart
105 Appleby Road
A J Leggat
Tel: Kendal 1089
The Club was originally founded in 1841 but the organisation which is the present club was formed in 1879. Th Club has played at the Lune Road ground since 1882 and during this period has brought the ground up to its present fine condition with amenities second to none in the League. The Club has also Bowling and Tennis sections.
The 1st and 2nd Elevens were for 28 years members of the Ribblesdale League and Palace Sheild Competition respectively. Proir to 1923 the 1st Eleven played in the North Lancashire League being champions of the league four times.
The Ribblesdale League Eleven won the championship in 1936, 1947 and 1950.
A W Wellard (Somerset)
HON. SECRETARY AND LEAGUE REPRESENTATIVE
J T Robinson
4 St Paul's Road
A D Thurston
The Leyland Cricket Club was founded in 1847. The present ground at Fox Lane was opened in 1880 when Leyland played a South XI which included Messrs, G F Grace, G Maule, Martin Riley, Louis Hall, Charlwood and James Lilleywhite.
Interest in the Club grew and many players who played for the Club during these years also distinguished themselves in County cricket, i.e., J.P.Whiteside, Frank Ward, George Nash, Albert Ward, J.Cross, H Tinsley, A Tinsley, I Anson, A Pike and W Wilmot ; the last named still lives near to the ground and is always willing to recall the days of long ago.
In 1921 the Club joined the Ribblesdale League and won the championship of that League on five occasions, 1921, 1925, 1926, 1935 and 1938. Outstanding players during this period included : J.C.H.Hollins, G.O.Skelmerdine, R. Walmsley, J. Foxcroft, J. Shakespeare and J Lawrence.
The purchase of the ground was faced in 1950, £5000 having to be raised by combined efforts of members, industrial undertakings and the town's people generally.
The Stanning Memorial Ground,
via Hough Lane and Towngate
HON. SECRETARY AND LEAGUE REPRESENTATIVE
10 Broad Street
The Club was founded in 1920 and in 1921 the first and second teams joining respectively the Ribblesdale League and the Palace Shield Competition. Won the Ribblesdale League Championship in 1939, the second XI winning the Meyler Cup in the same season.
Amongst the players of note who have represented the Club are, Jack Iddon, Lancashire County and England, Max Halliday, Lancashire County, (both players learnt their cricket at Leyland), Parry-Thomas, the famous racing motorist (who met an untimely death on Pendine Sands) and Fred Webster, professional in the mid-1920's, probably the fastest left-arm bowler to play in League cricket in Lancashire.
The Club has always tried to provide first class amenities and facilities, including good wickets and has endevoured to uphold always the best traditions of "THE GAME"
(Approach via Thurston Road)
c/o Leyland Motors Ltd
Tel: Works Leyland 81400 Extn 16
Ground : Leyland 813901
C Gaskell (Chairman)
228 Leyland Road
Tel: Business Hours :Leyland 81277, Ext 256
The present Club was formed in 1889 but cricket in the Morecambe area can be traced back to 1855, the Club being by far the oldist sports organisation in the town
The present ground, Woodhill Lane was laid out in 1900 by Johnny Briggs of Lancashire County and England fame.
In 1901 the Club joined the North Lancashire League and later the Palace Shield Competition. Then rejoined the North Lancashire League, winning the Championship in 1928 and 1937, and were Higson Cup finalists in 1928.
In 1947 the Club was admitted to membership of the Ribblesdale League.
(off West End Road
87, Cleveleys Avenue
439, Lancaster Road
Tel : Morecambe 1376
P Sisson (Chairman),
83 Thornton Road,
Cricket was played at St Annes so far back as 1870 but the present Club was formed in 1888 and played in local matches.
In 1902 St Annes became one of the founder members of the Palace Shield (Blackpool) Competition and became its first Champions.
The Club was disbanded during the First World War their ground became a R.H.A. training center. After the war a private firm, Robertsons formed a works team, put the ground in order, but in 1925 were compelled to seek new quarters. Land off Highbury Road was leased and the Club applied for membership of the Ribblesdale League and engaged Jack Curtis of Leicestershire as professional.
Membership of the Ribblesdale League and Palace Shield has been continuous since then and until the formation of the "Northern".
Tel : 2488 St Annes,
(No2 or No 3 bus from St Annes Square,
No 11C from Blackpool)
39 Walter Avenue
Tel: (Treasurer F Keogh) St Annes 102
F Smith (Chairman),
TeL: St Annes 2436
THE LEAGUE TROPHIES
First Division Championship Cup
Presented by F Smith Esq St Annes
First Division Championship Flag
Presented by F Place Esq Blackpool
First Division Runners-up Cup
Presented by Wm Blackledge Esq Chorley
Second Division Championship Cup
Presented by A J Leggat Esq Kendal
Second Division Championship Flag
Presented by T Tickle Esq Furness
A big thank you to Norman Ellis for letting me borrow his 1952 Hand Book